Hurricane Irma has now passed and your property may have sustained damages. Here are some things to consider during the process of an insurance claim:
- Make a copy of your Home Insurance Policy if you don’t already have one. Keep it handy and safe from the elements.
- Take photos of your home inside and out prior to the storm.
- No damage is ever too small. Something as simple as a missing shingle from your roof may require extensive repairs. For example, shingle roofs 8+ years old may not be repairable due to their age. We recommend you to always have a professional adjuster assess the damage. Many public adjusting firms, such as Monarch Claims Consultants, Inc., offer free, no obligation inspections.
- After the storm, try your best to prevent the damages from worsening, e.g. placing a tarp on your roof, covering broken windows, removing excess water from within the property. Remember to take photographs prior to removing any damaged building materials and/or personal property from your home.
- Stressful and overwhelming times always follow after a major storm hits. You may find public adjusters soliciting immediately after the storm, and this can only add to your stress. Be advised that Florida Statue 626.860 (6) strictly prohibits any solicitation for business by a public adjuster in the first 48 hours post hurricane.
- Don’t be fooled! When a “state of emergency” is declared, a public adjuster can only charge a fee of 10% for their services as per Florida statue 626.854 (10,B,1).
- You should never pay a public adjuster an up-front fee. Most public adjusters are paid based on a percentage of the total settlement.
- You may find that filing a claim directly with your insurance company immediately after a major hurricane can be rather difficult, and many times will result in a short-pay or “under-deductible” determination. You do not have to accept such settlement or decision as final. We encourage you to consult with a public adjuster and have your damages re-evaluated free of charge.
Our local recommended company:
Monarch Claims Consultants, Inc.
12955 SW 132nd St. Suite 202
Miami, FL 33186
(786) 205-4248 I (305) 978-0902 I (305) 972-2034
Instagram and Facebook: @monarchclaims